My son recently turned 8 years old. He requested an Angry Birds themed birthday party and I was more than happy to oblige. There are no Angry Bird party decorations available in stores yet. (there are however a lot of really wonderful things available on etsy.com if you are interested) So being the crafty Mom that I am I went to the internet for inspiration, and I was able to find so many fun ideas and helpful printables. I thought I would share some of the things I did for the party.
I made a fun bunch of angry bird balloons using the free face printables from:
http://www.thepartyanimal-blog.org/ The kids were able to take home a balloon after the party and what is better than that?
Next I made these cute little bird and pig boxes. I made these using the free printable from:
http://littleplasticman.blogspot.com/2011/03/dont-mess-with-these-birds.html While I think these are adorable they were a LOT smaller that I originally envisioned. They didn't make much of a statement in the decorations so I probably wouldn't waste the ink and time on them next time.I made party horns using graphics found online that I just print and cut out. There were just adhered on cardstock circles over party horns left over from a past birthday party. I then covered some plain bubbles from the Target dollar spot. I used the angry birds font to attach a birthday message on them.
I had a lot of fun cutting the watermelon and using a sharpie to draw a pigs face on it. I then used it to serve the cut up watermelon.
I made a papermache pinata and decorated it using the same printables as the balloons.
Finally I made an Angry Birds scene on the cake. The cake is nothing fancy, just a box mix and chocolate frosting from a can. I saved all my energy for the decorations. I made birds and pigs from oreo truffles coated in colored candy melts. The eyes and feathers were made from more candy melts. The beaks and pig snouts were made from candy pumpkins that I jsut cut to shape. I made a slingshot out of snacksize Twix bars held together with melted chocolate. The structure that the pigs were on was made from kitkats also "glued" together with melted chocolate.
The party was a big success. Besides the pinata we had 2 more Angry Bird themed games. We used cardboard bricks to build a real life Angry Birds game and used the boys stuffed angry birds to throw at the structure and knock down the pigs made from green play balls. We also saved the eggs from the pigs in an egg hunt using plastic easter eggs.
It takes more time and effort to make all your own party supplies, but it is always worth it when you see the pure joy on the birthday boys face.

1 comment:
These are so professional looking! I have girls...so I don't know the angry bird thing WELL, but I DO remember seeing them somewhere. I have a nephew who I think likes them...I will have to send your post to my sister. Thank you so much for the inspiration! ;)
Post a Comment