Friday, August 29, 2008

mud puddles

When I went to the Great American Scrapbook Convention this summer I bought a little tub of sand with adhesive already mixed in. Then I never touched it. So yesterday I decided to pull it out and try it. Here is a picture of the container. In case you can't read it, you can find some of this stuff at Muddpuddles.net They have it in many different types/colors of sand.

I played with it a bit last night and found it pretty easy to use, but the smell is quite strong when you are working up close with it. (my dh said he couldn't smell it at all when he came in my scraproom though) I found that it adheres alright to cardstock in small areas, but was too wet and heavy to put in large areas, because my cardstock began to curl.
I decided to use the sand for my title so I covered chipboard letters with the sand, and then since it was taking awhile to dry and it was getting late, I just let it dry overnight.
Today I made the layout with the letters. I was happy to see that it dried up very strong. I can rub it and nothing is moving, and at the same time it looks just like sand sitting on the letters. Seriously no need to seal it or anything; it's not going anywhere.

The chipboard letters that I covered are by K&Co. I punched circles out of different blues and added stickles and small bling to a few of them in order to mimic water on the bottom of the lo.
Here is a close up of the sand.
My layout turned out very clean and simple, but that seems to be the style I lean towards when creating. For some reason when I am looking at others' layouts I am drawn to a more embellished/ eclectic or vintage look, but when I am creating I usually go simple. Does anyone else have this or am I just crazy?

Anyone have big plans for Memorial Day weekend? We don't have anything big planned for Monday; except maybe cutting down a dead tree in our yard. Tomorrow we are heading to my SIL's for a party though. So we should have a good time. Have a fun and safe weekend everyone.

1 comment:

KristinB said...

That sand is really cool! It looks great on the chipboard!